1. Our Services
We use machine intelligence to mine, organize and connect information from the millions of scientific articles we receive from public sources and publisher partners. We do this to enable you to quickly discover and explore which ones might be of interest to you. In short, we need to know what your research interests are in order to make the Services relevant to you.
We use machine intelligence to create a Knowledge Graph to make your research more efficient. This is the Service we provide.
2. Who may use the Services
You may only use our Services if you are over the age at which you can lawfully use the Services and consent to the processing of your personal data under the laws of your country. For example, in the United States, this is age 13 and in certain parts of Europe, this is age 16.
You can’t use the Meta until you’re old enough to lawfully sign up.
4. Intellectual property
We appreciate that you want to use our Services in furtherance of your research interests. Accordingly, subject to these Terms, we grant you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and revocable license to use our Services. This license has the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by Meta, in the manner permitted by these Terms.
These Services are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws of the United States and other countries. Nothing in these Terms gives you a right to use the Meta name or any of our trademarks, logos, domain names, or other distinctive brand features.
We give you permission to use our Services in accordance with these Terms.
5. User Content
We understand that scientific research is a collaborative process, and want to enable our users to share content with us and with other users. However, you remain fully responsible for the materials that you provide to us or share with others, including images, posts and messages (“User Content”). You agree that you will not submit User Content that:
- infringes on any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property rights;
- is false, misleading, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful, or sexually explicit, or violate another’s right to privacy, publicity or the right to one’s image;
- degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification;
- contains epithets or other language or material intended to intimidate or to incite violence; or
- violates any applicable local, state/provincial/territorial, national, or international laws.
Don’t post illegal or offensive content.
You continue to own any User Content that you submit through the Services, but by submitting User Content, you grant us a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully sub-licensable license to publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, edit, adapt, modify, and otherwise use your User Content (or any portion thereof) for the purpose of providing the Services in all media and form and using any technology existing now or in the future.
You own the content you share on Meta, but we can use it to offer Meta
We also enjoy receiving any survey feedback, comments or suggestions you may provide regarding Meta. This information helps us provide you with a better experience on our Services. However, doing so is entirely voluntary and we will be free to use such information as we see fit and without any obligation to you.
We can use your suggestions to make Meta better
6. Copyright infringement claims
We respect the intellectual property rights of others and if you believe in good faith that your work has been reproduced or is accessible on the Services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our designated agent with the following information in writing:
- identification of the copyrighted work or a representative list of copyrighted works claimed to have been infringed;
- identification of the allegedly infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- your name, address and daytime telephone number, and an e-mail address if available, so that we may contact you if necessary;
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Our designated agent is: email@example.com, 435 Tasso St, Palo Alto CA.
Upon receiving a complete notice of claimed infringement, we will expeditiously remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing content. We will terminate the privileges of users who repeatedly infringe copyright. Please note that United States law provides significant penalties for falsely submitting a notice of copyright infringement.
We respect copyright. You can contact us if you believe that your work is being infringed on Meta.
7. Prohibited conduct on our Services
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Services to take any action that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation;
- engage in unauthorized spidering, “scraping,” or harvesting of content or personal information, or use any other unauthorized automated means to compile information;
- use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services or any activity conducted on the Services or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Services;
We may suspend or terminate your access to the Services for violations such as the above, and such violations may also result in civil or criminal liability.
Don’t try to hack Meta. Or do anything else illegal. We mean it!
While we work to protect the security of the Services and your Meta account, we can’t guarantee that unauthorized third parties won’t be able to defeat our security measures. We ask that you keep your password secure. Please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you suspect your account has been compromised or are aware of any other security issues relating to Meta.
We try to keep Meta secure. Let us know of any security issues.
9. Links to third-party content
The Services may contain links to third-party websites or services that are not owned or controlled by Meta. We don’t endorse or assume any responsibility for any such third party sites, information, materials, products, or services. If you access any third-party website, service, or content from the Services, you do so at your own risk.
We’re not responsible for third party websites.
Meta may suspend or terminate your right to access or use our Services for any reason with appropriate notice. We may terminate or suspend your access immediately and without notice if we have good cause, such as when we believe your access interferes with the operation of our Services. If you believe that your account has been wrongfully suspended or terminated, please contact us at email@example.com.
Sections 3, 5 to 9 and 11 to 15 (inclusive) shall survive the termination of these Terms for any reason.
Meta is provided to you for free. We reserve the right to refuse service, but we will provide appropriate notice.
To the greatest extent permitted by law:
- The Services and all content on Meta is provided on an “as is” basis without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.
- We specifically disclaim any and all warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement, and any warranties arising out of course of dealing or usage of trade.
- We disclaim responsibility and assume no liability for any content that you or any other user submits to our Services.
Meta is provided to you for free. Therefore, we can’t make any promises that it will always work the way we want. We disclaim our liability if it doesn’t.
12. Limitation of liability
IN NO EVENT WILL WE, OR OUR SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND ASSIGNS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT OR INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS, OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, ANY INTERRUPTION IN AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, VIRUS, LOSS OF DATA, OR USE, MISUSE, RELIANCE, REVIEW, MANIPULATION, OR OTHER UTILIZATION IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER OF THE SERVICES OR THE DATA COLLECTED THROUGH THE SERVICES, EVEN IF ONE OR MORE OF THEM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSS. ANY CLAIM ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE SERVICES WILL BE LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF $100.
We’re not liable for various things.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold us and our parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns harmless from and against any and all losses, costs, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses), claims, damages and liabilities related to or associated with your use of the Services and any alleged violation by you of these Terms. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense of any claim for which we are entitled to indemnification under this section. In such event, you shall provide us with such cooperation as we reasonably request.
If your use of our Services causes us, or people associated with us, loss (particularly if it leads to us getting sued) you will compensate us.
14. Governing law and jurisdiction
These Terms shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, without respect to its conflict of laws principles. If you are not a consumer in the European Economic Area (EEA), the exclusive place of jurisdiction for all disputes arising from or in connection with this agreement is the Superior Court of County of Santa Clara County, California, or the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, and that the laws of the State of California will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
If you are a consumer in the EEA, this won’t deprive you of any protection you have under the law of the country where you live and access to the courts in that country.
If you live in the EEA and are using Meta as a consumer you can sue us before your home courts. If you live anywhere else, any dispute between us will be heard under California law in Santa Clara.
15. General terms
15.1 Changes to these Terms.
We may change these Terms or modify any features of the Services. The most current version of the Terms can be viewed by clicking on the link posted through the Services. Unless otherwise required by law, we will notify you before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect. Once any updated Terms are in effect, you will be bound by them if you continue to use our Services.
We can change these terms from time to time. If you don’t accept the new terms, you’ll have to stop using Meta.
These Terms, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by Meta without restriction. Any attempted transfer or assignment in violation hereof shall be null and void.
You can’t transfer your rights under these Terms.
15.3 Entire agreement.
The Terms are an agreement between you and Chan Zuckerberg Initiative LLC. If you have any questions about these Terms, you may contact us at at the following:
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, LLC
435 Tasso St
Palo Alto, CA